Tuesday, January 14, 2014

Logic from the Heart



A Conversation with Live Laugh Love Dream 3



Head: OK, Heart. Time to get it together. You've been living in fantasy too long, and it's time to snap out of it and embrace reality again.

Heart: But... but... but... but... but...

Head: See, that's what I mean. You're all muddled.

Heart: What I was trying to say is that I like fantasy. It makes me happy. I want to make the most of this life, enjoy good food, good wine, good friends, love with abandon. What's the point of life if you don't really live? Fantasy, dreams, daydreams give me wings, help me soar.

Head: Yes, but what happens when you fall? When you crash and burn? Who has to pick up the pieces, help you see things logically, rationally? Help you understand and move on? Me, and I'm tired of it. If you'd just be logical for once, you'd see it makes much more sense to live in reality.

Heart: I know you're the one to pick up the pieces, and that's what makes this a great partnership. I understand reality. I know reality, but I choose to have fun. Bills, taxes, death, stress, rude people, atrocities, natural disasters, zombie apocalypse (joking - I know that's not real... yet...) - all of those make up reality. I know they're there. I know they exist, but I don't want them to make up my entire existence. I just can't live that way.

Head: You're impossible.

Heart: That's why you love me.

Head: *rolling eyes* You're never going to see things my way, are you? It would be so much easier if you would. You wouldn't get hurt. You wouldn't grieve. You wouldn't be in pain. Things wouldn't get to you like they do now. You wouldn't cry at movies or tv shows or stories on SportsCenter.

Heart: I know. I do understand you. It probably would be easier to live numbly. To not love. To not take risks. To not dive in when you know you'll only end up being hurt in the end. But can you truly appreciate joy without knowing sorrow?

Head: Oh, who's being logical now?

Heart: *grinning* Well, I had to appeal to that side of you to get you to see my point. However, like Mark Twain wrote, Life is short. Break the rules. Forgive quickly. Kiss slowly. Love truly. Laugh uncontrollably. And never regret anything that makes you smile. Oh and,Explore. Dream. Discover.

Head: That Mark Twain really gets on my nerves. Oscar Wilde too, and that new guy you seem to adore lately. What's his name? Oh yeah, Tyler Knott Gregson. They all fill you with romanticized notions and make my job that much harder.

Heart: Oh come on, Head. I know you love a challenge.

Head: Dammit. You know me too well. Carry on then. I'll be here to pick you up when you fall.

Heart: See? A perfect partnership.

Head: *sigh*

1 comment:

  1. I cannot help it... makes me smile & giggle when I read it & you know why <3

    ReplyDelete