Saturday, January 5, 2013

Need conversation starters? I know a plenty...


A "Paraprosdokian" is a figure of speech in which the
latter part of a sentence or phrase is surprising or
unexpected in a way that causes the reader or
listener to reframe or reinterpret the first part. It
is frequently used for humorous or dramatic effect.
I found these were classics:

    * Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you
down to his level and beat you with experience.

    * I want to die peacefully in my sleep, like my
grandfather. Not screaming and yelling like the
passengers in his car.

    * The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But
it's still on the list.

    * Light travels faster than sound. This is why
some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

    * If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

    * We never really grow up; we only learn how to
act in public.

    * War does not determine who is right -- only who
is left.

    * Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit;
Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

    * The early bird might get the worm, but the
second mouse gets the cheese.

    * Evening news is where they begin with "Good
evening," and then proceed to tell you why it isn't.

    * To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism.
To steal from many is research.

    * A bus station is where a bus stops. A train
station is where a train stops. My desk is a work
station.

    * How is it one careless match can start a forest
fire, but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?

    * Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks
of captivity, they can train people to stand on the
very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

    * I thought I wanted a career; turns out I just
wanted pay checks.

    * A bank is a place that will lend you money if
you can prove that you don't need it.

    * Whenever I fill out an application, in the part
that says "If an emergency, notify:" I put "DOCTOR."

    * I didn't say it was your fault, I said I was
blaming you.

    * Why does someone believe you when you say there
are four billion stars, but check when you say the
paint is wet?

    * Why do Americans choose from just two people to
run for president and 50 for Miss America ?

    * Behind every successful man is his woman.
Behind the fall of a successful man is usually
another woman.

    * A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad
memory.

    * You do not need a parachute to skydive. You
only need a parachute to skydive twice.

    * The voices in my head may not be real, but they
have some good ideas!

    * Always borrow money from a pessimist. He won't
expect it back.

    * A diplomat is someone who can tell you to go to
hell in such a way that you will look forward to the
trip.

    * Hospitality: making your guests feel like
they're at home, even if you wish they were.

    * Money can't buy happiness, but it sure makes
misery easier to live with.

    * I discovered I scream the same way whether I'm
about to be devoured by a great white shark or if a
piece of seaweed touches my foot.

    * Some cause happiness wherever they go. Others
whenever they go.

    * There's a fine line between cuddling and
holding someone down so they can't get away.

    * I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not sure.

    * When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember
that the Fire Department usually uses water.

    * You're never too old to learn something stupid.

    * Nostalgia isn't what it used to be.

    * A bus is a vehicle that runs twice as fast when
you are after it as when you are in it.

    * If you are supposed to learn from your
mistakes, why do some people have more than one child?

    * Change is inevitable, except from a vending
machine. 


1 comment:

  1. *Giggles* yes - I beat you on this one... posted something similar 10/27/10.
    Not that 'I' am competitive or anything....lol 'D
    <3

    Great minds think alike???

    ReplyDelete