Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Wisdom From 'The Little Prince'

"'Men have Forgotten This Truth',said the Fox.  'But you Must NOT Forget it.  You become Responsible, FOREVER, for what you have Tamed.'"

"I showed my Masterpiece to 'The Grown UPS', and asked them if the Drawings frightened them?
They Answered Me:
'Why Should anyone be frightened by a hat?'
My Drawing was NOT of a Hat, but of a Boa Constrictor digesting an Elephant. Then I drew the inside of the Boa Constrictor, so the 'Grown-Ups' could see it clearly....they always seem to need things explained."

"All Grown Ups were Once children, but so few ever remember it."

"To me, you are still nothing more than a little boy who is just like a hundred thousand other little boys. And I have no need of you. And you, on your part, have no need of me. To you I am nothing more than a fox like a hundred thousand other foxes. But if you tame me, then we shall need each other. To me, you will be unique in all the world. To you, I shall be unique in all the world...."

"Here is my secret. It is very simple: It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."

"The proof that the little prince existed is that he was charming, that he laughed, and that he was looking for a sheep. If anybody wants a sheep, that is a proof that he exists."

"You -- you alone will have the stars as no one else has them... In one of the stars I shall be living. In one of them I shall be laughing. And so it will be as if all the stars were laughing, when you look at the sky at night... You -- only you -- will have stars that can laugh."




Disguised as a children's book, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry's novella The Little Prince offers more wisdom in its very few pages than some authors can hope to produce in a lifetime. The fact that it's been translated into more than 230 languages from the original French is proof that its message resonates worldwide.

1 comment: