Friday, November 26, 2010

Paying it Forward

     In the matter of moments while in the midst of a misty evening, i came to a realization of starting a new self tradition...a tradition to give during a day of being thankful...and would you know it...how fate always has a way to present itself.
     I exited the local 7-seveneleven-11just after dropping off my grand mother at her home in Port Jefferson (formerly known as Drown Meadow...gruesome origin behind that name, but that is a blog for another time).  I decided to stop in there specifically because it seemed relatively empty (other then the obvious of wanting something from there).  My car was only the second vehicle in the parking lot, the first had a blonde woman slumped over in the driverside seat...i too found that peculiar and bizarre.  My gut told me to ignore her, so i did.  In and right back Out, three minutes at the very most.  As i stepped off of the curb and took a direct stride in the direction of my driver side door, i heard something eminenting from over my right shoulder (a fairly nondescript noise).  I turned to the direction of the sound, and saw a tall black fellow anxiously holding his phone up...he was almost on the cusp of internally panicking.  
"what was that" i say
"can you do me a favor" he replies
"what's the favor" i respond
"i am not from the area and i need a ride home, my girlfriend just took off with my car"
without hesitating to hear more i ask "where do you live?"?
"coram"
"get in get"
He followed my lead, walked around my car opened the door and off we went...he offered to pay me, i ignored his offering, i wasn't helping him because i wanted his money...i did not want anything from him.  Fifteen15 minutes later, i pull into his driveway, and wish him luck (he confessed to me his ordeal, it involves a second woman and a text message).  Funny i thought, i had a similar incidence once, mine was on purpose though, his not so much.  More like a fool's blunder...its his lesson to learn, and he may.  The ride was my gift on a day for giving.

No comments:

Post a Comment