Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Hurricane Irene

Has Come and Gone...like so much in life.  The aftermath has left much of Long Island decimated with uprooted trees and a loss of power in seemingly everywhere but at my house...curious?  Happenstance?  I say luck and Coincidence.  For those who do not know, I have consciously made the decision not to join in on the thrones of internet access where I live...I go home and I disconnect.  Many find it Odd, I know its peaceful.  There is much to be said over the serenity I surround myself with...no day is ever bad, instead everything is calming and Everchanging.  I accept the fact that many center the world around their own "Universe"...afterall it is all about you, always...I notice a trend, that people help out others if there is a personal benefit to be had...rarely have I observed outright, unselfish generosity followed/accompained by absolutely NO Expectation of reciprocation...
Walking (one of my favorite forms of Exercise) yesterday I noticed a Mother and her early Twenty-20's something year old daughter wavering back and forth holding some long object...seemingly to wave it in the air.  As I approach them some fifty yards away, I assume it is some sort of waste management apparatus (perhaps a long broom or something to that effect).  I reach within ten yards and I clearly see what they are attempting.  The mother had constructed a ten foot long wooden hook-like tool and they were in the process of collecting a cluster of downed wires.  I immediately shout out to them, STOP and call LIPA (Long Island Power Authority).  Its Never advised for untrained individuals to deal with downed wires...it is potentially leathal.  They heed my advise and stop.  As I walk past their property i count approximately twenty or so straggling Wires and a broken off power pole with some sort of transformer connected to it laying adjacent to their driveway.  The mother tells me that her daughter needs to drive to school...
I think to myself, not today...just stay alive and stay away from the wires, otherwise you will not have a daughter/nor will your daughter not have a mother.  Luckily and unbeknownst to them...power is out, no live conduction through those wires.  Otherwise I would have come across two dead people on my walk.

What A Buzzzzzz Kill!

No comments:

Post a Comment